If We're Not Healthy No One Is Healthy

********

Because hospitals and nursing homes must function under a unique and high-pressured clinical setting, a specialized employee wellness program is needed to keep both health care workers and their patients healthy.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

When Wellness Programs Fall Short

How to Ruin an Employee Wellness Program:
Lesson 1 -- Don't do anything spectacular
Lesson 2 -- Make your employees feel less than human

Lesson 3...

Well what am I talking about?

Just what we don't need, a wellness program that does more lecturing than inspiring. There are many programs that have good intentions but they don't do much more than a sidewalk health fair that gives out free pens and takes a quick blood sugar test or blood pressure. It doesn't motivate the employees to grow as a team trying to promote their best human potential.

Do you want to be slapped on the wrist for being overweight? Do you want to feel like a failure when you aren't walking around the block on your lunch hour? Do you feel worse than when you go to your general practitioner?

Below is an interesting blog post I found about this topic. An enthusiastic worker wanted to make improvements in her health, but ended up feeling rejected. You can also check out the 5 tips for saving your employees.

Here is her story:

I signed up for the wellness program because I am incredibly interested in wellness and wished to participate in my ongoing journey to health and self acceptance through a wellness program. I appreciate that (company name) offers it and I believed it to be an opportunity to see (from a participant point of view) what (company name)is all about.

I understood that the wellness program was dependent on setting and ‘checking in’ on self created goals. I was excited to couple a health educator’s knowledge with the ongoing journey that I have been on.

CLICK HERE TO READ HER ENTIRE BLOG

No comments: